Sunday, February 28, 2010
From a road trip in 2005, shot with the 7x17 inch Korona Panoramic View. Be sure to click on the picture to see a bigger version. I love the buildings here—the adjacent smaller one is an American Legion hall—but it's the portrayal of noontime light on a hot August day that really appeals to me.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Another pretty dusting of snow. I can't recall a year when we've had so many little snowfalls of a couple inches with almost no major storms. Of course that's just a narrow band of territory here in west-central Connecticut. Apparently New York City got nearly twenty inches over the past 24 hours, and there's more snow to the north of us as well.
Friday, February 26, 2010
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Some things can't be put off, and a trip to the dump...er, Transfer Station...can be one of them.
As always, if you click on any of the pictures you'll see a much more legible larger version. Just hit your browser's back button to return.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Blog Note: or rather, Web Site Note. My web host informs me that they've had an accident with the building's fire suppression system out in Utah and many of their servers, including the one handling my site, are in trouble. If you have difficulty accessing www.carlweese.com, that's the reason. They are doing everything they can to restore all service but they don't know how long it's going to take.
Monday, February 22, 2010
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Friday, February 19, 2010
There can be something eerie about a house where a very old person lives. As the resident becomes less and less active, things in the house seem almost to fossilize, fixed in positions established years, even decades, earlier.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
When discussing, or teaching, view camera technique, I frequently point out that a big camera can still be used to capture certain types of action. The main way to do this is by "trapping." The approach is to find a viewpoint on a subject that seems to be about 90% of the way on to being a picture. So set up the camera and see if the other 10% comes along. This can take a long time, but often results in pictures that strike me as more interesting than anything I might set up on purpose. The hard part is deciding when to give up and pack the gear if the last tenth just isn't coming along.
It's not something restricted to big cameras though. Often when working with a small digital capture hand camera I'll see that same 90% of a picture and immediately after, find the other 10% rolling into it. This time the whole process takes place in a few seconds, but the results can be as rewarding.
This is what you see as you walk out the door of the Woodbury library on a winter morning. The white-painted brick wall belongs to one of the town hall complex buildings (the Shove building, let's not go there), which share a fairly large piece of real estate with the police department and the recently built senior citizen center.
Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Ama is the homecare aide who takes care of my 93 year old mother-in-law 24/7. She asked me to take a picture of her in the snow—SNOW—to send to her two children who are going to school back in Ghana. I'm more than happy to oblige and hope we can send links to them to find it here. We'll send ink-on-paper prints by snail.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
The snow stopped not long after seven and I scraped off the driveway at about eight. Then it began to snow again. At noon it looks as though we'll end up with a fair accumulation as light snow squalls swirl across the New York border to our west, on the weather radar.
Sunday, February 14, 2010
Commercial signs add something to what happens in a picture, even when they're so far in the background as to almost not be noticed.
The WPII Blog is back from sabbatical for a few posts, because of a gallery opening.
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Friday, February 12, 2010
Signs often fascinate me, and this is a nice one because it's so place-specific. A warning to avoid ice falling from a building's roof isn't something you run into down south, or out on the West Coast.
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Greenfield was the nearest big town (perhaps it would be better to say biggest town near) Northfield School, where my wife spent four years in the late sixties. When I got home from some shooting up here, ahead of a snow storm, I mentioned that it didn't look as though it probably had changed a lot in the intervening decades. Once the pictures were downloaded into the computer, she took a look at this and said, "Yup, that's the main drag all right."
The past several snowstorms that have hit hard down in the southeastern states have mostly passed us by in southern New England. But this one promises to come in a little stronger. Here's the view out the back door just a few minutes ago.