Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It wasn’t Pneumonia

Two days into antibiotic treatment my symptoms just weren't going away, and they looked less and less like pneumonia. That was because what I really had was one of a difficult-to-diagnose group of tick-borne diseases (the most well-understood is ehrlichiosis) that need a completely different antibiotic.

We were about to see our regular doctor for follow-up early Friday afternoon when I had a complete physical collapse. I couldn’t stand up. I could take full, deep breaths, but it was as though the air had no oxygen in it. At the emergency room a team began doing many things at once, taking multiple electrocardiograms, many, many, blood samples with many different blood work analyses run simultaneously, while a PA carefully questioned me about what had been going on with symptoms. My heart was in arrhythmia. My pulse was racing at 155 with atrial flutter, meaning the chamber that pumps blood to the lungs was literally fluttering at 310 pulses per minute and not accomplishing much of anything. My blood pressure was effectively zero. So was my white cell count.

They managed to quickly assemble this jigsaw puzzle and found that several of the anomalies in my blood chemistry were consistent with these tick-borne infections; that the tick-borne infections were consistent with the chill/fever symptoms I’d been having; and that these infections are known to set off life-threatening cardiac arrhythmia. The cardiologist on call had arrived and while hitting the infection with a sledgehammer of intravenous antibiotics they wheeled me into another room to go after the heart problem. They used a series of drugs attempting to “convert” the heartbeat back to normal.

I was cautioned that the first drug probably wouldn’t work all by itself, but would serve as a diagnostic for what to do next. That’s what happened. Next they administered something that felt slightly warm for a moment, and then I thought my entire body had melted, liquefied. As the sensation passed the nurse administering the drugs said that one had been a preparation for the next drug they’d try. When that went in, there was just complete quiet for about ninety seconds. The nurse and Tina could see the monitors behind me. Suddenly the nurse’s eyes lit up and he said 145! 135…133…125…113. Just like that. Blood pressure was returning as well. A little while after the pulse had steadied at about 85 the PA came into the room with an-ear-to ear smile and said “You’re converted! Your heart rhythm is normal.”

I spent the weekend in the hospital with a continuous heart monitor and seemingly continuous blood tests along with oceans of intravenous fluids spiked with antibiotic cocktails. Cardiology was testing to see whether the heart was remaining steady and whether it had been damaged. The general MD for my case was testing the effect of their assault on the infection, which is capable of damaging all your organs and killing you outright. Sunday afternoon the cardiologist told me that the blood tests and echocardiogram convinced him my heart function was perfectly normal and cardiology was done with me. A little while later the doctor quarterbacking the case told me my bloodwork was doing fine, the infection sufficiently under control that I could continue my recovery at home with a course of antibiotic (the same one used to treat Lyme disease).

So the next time you pack up your camera gear to go into the woods, fields, meadows, and salt marshes, heed all the warnings, take all the precautions to protect yourself from tick-borne infections. Read about it here and here. Tick-borne diseases are not just some sort of nuisance. They can kill you.

14 comments:

Ernest Theisen said...

Well Carl that was a close one. Thank God you made it. My best thoughts are with you for a complete recovery. Ernie

Jeff Kott said...

Carl,

I'm really sorry you had to go through all of this but very happy they finally figured it out and got you back on the right track.

Best wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hi Carl.
Sorry to hear of your traumatic illness. I hope you make a speedy recovery and back in the field with your camera as soon as possible. Cheers. Tony McLean

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your timely diagnosis and recovery. That was cutting it close by your well written desription. It is good to be in a place where that kind of help is readily available.

GT

MJMiller said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better. Close call indeed. Take care.

Matt

Carl Weese said...

Thanks everyone.

GT,it's true that I was lucky to be at a facility that had seen this before. Ehrlichiosis and related infections are quite rare. Extreme, life-threatening presentation like mine is even more rare. But that actually increases the danger. Consider the situation where you visit a place and get infected by a tick bite. Several weeks later the symptoms go critical and you arrive at a fine, urban, medical facility where the staff has never seen this syndrome first-hand. Scary. Learn the protective measures, and learn the symptoms because there is no way fully to protect yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carl:
I am so sorry to know about your painful sickness. Besides your excellent explanation of your suffering I have talked to Bettina and she was very helpful in explaning your days in hospital. Cheer up old friend.
Alejandro

Carl Weese said...

Alejandro,

Thanks, however I'm quite cheered up by the vivid recognition of not being dead. Cheery enough for the moment. I'm just exhausted.

Anonymous said...

Carl, I am sorry to learn of your close call, but I am relieved to learn that you are on the mend. I have been anonymously enjoying your blog for the last 6 months and wish you a full and speedy recovery that gets you out with your camera soon.

Regards,
Erl Houston

Adam McAnaney said...

Carl,

I'm happy to hear that your recovery appears to be going well. I have to admit, I started freaking out myself just reading about it!

All the best,
Adam

John Sarsgard said...

Tina (many thanks to her) had updated me in response to an email. I'm very grateful that you are on the mend after such a harrowing experience. Your story may help convince some of us to take our surroundings more seriously. After growing up with cottonmouth moccasins, rattlesnakes, and chiggers in Mississippi, I thought Connecticut was paradise. I guess there ain't no paradise, and we have to learn to be careful. Looking forward to seeing the photos again! John

Michael said...

This sure is shocking! I sincerely hope you get well soon. I'm sorry you had to go through such a rough patch, but I'm glad you got the care you needed. I'll be sure to take your warning about ticks in the NE seriously. I still thankful for all your advice this year so I hope the summer will have better things in store for you yet.

All best wishes,

Michael G.

Anonymous said...

Wow Carl! I'm glad your back. I had a close one once and when recovered every one and every thing was beautiful until I started to forget that. A speedy recovery man. Bob K

Eric Hancock said...

Wow -- very frightening. I'm glad you got to the bottom of that, and that you are recovering.