Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Moonrise Last Evening

Woodbury, Connecticut

I saw this after dinner last night, looking out the window over the kitchen sink. So I went out with a camera. I was a bit surprised to find that the capture retained lots of information on the ground as well as the delicate wisps of cloud in the sky, along with actual detail of the "seas" on the moon. The camera I've had for about a month now has much more exposure range than the one it replaces.

PS: Click on either picture to get a much better view that will show the tonal scale more accurately than the front page view.

detail


5 comments:

MikeR said...

I think I recall that a few years ago you had a Lumix GX7. Would the new camera be a GX9, or did you leap to Fuji? (I know, it's not about the camera. But, I will be selling off a bunch of lenses, and my GX7, to buy a GX9, so I just wondered.)

Carl Weese said...

MikeR, I got a G9. The GX9 didn't appeal to me, doesn't seem to be a real successor to the GX7. I wish the new sensor and all the other features could have been kept in a form factor close to the GX7 but it obviously wasn't going to happen. The G9 is big and heavy for 4/3s format, but it's still compact in absolute terms—the camera with the "Olympus quartet" (12,17, 25, 45mm) plus spare battery and card all fit in a tiny Ona Bowery bag.

John said...

Did you have to do much pushing/pulling in RAW to get the level of detail you got?

Carl Weese said...

John, not really extreme. The highlight slider is pulled down almost all the way and the white down 21, to help separate the dark/light areas on the moon surface. The shadow slider is most of the way up, black slider didn't need anything, exposure slider up a modest 31 points.

John said...

Yes, it's amazing how the technology has improved in the last 10 years. I debated last year about updating my D-800 to the D-850, or the Z7. Instead, got a great deal on a new HP printer they were closing out. My old is going on 12 years and still kicking strong.

I figured I would wait and see how mirrorless improves in the next iteration.