Tuesday, January 19, 2010

WP Supplemental: more theaters

There has been a lot of interest in the pictures of drive-in theaters I've been posting here, and that were featured at the Lens blog. For those whose interest is really keen, here is a LINK to a large gallery of scans from the project. There are 75 photographs here, with identifications of the theaters by name and location. The scans (like the ones I've been posting here and very unlike the ones in the galleries on my web site) are meant to give a good impression of what the digital pigment-ink prints look like (except of course for size). Almost all of the pictures were made on 8x10" and 7x17" format, but there are also a few that started out as 5x7s.

5 comments:

Martina said...

Thanks for the link - I just browsed some of the phtots and am thinking what really impresses me most ... it is almost always the photos with these vast empty spaces in front of the screens and I wonder if this could be shown with smaller format cameras. It is not really sad or melancholic but gives me a feeling about how everything is changing. Hard to express - I guess I would even have a problem expressing this in German. But hey, I always have a second or third or fourth look at these empty spaces - says all, hm?

lyle said...

sorry, i couldn't resist. I just spent the last bit of time going back and forth between the new scans and the scans of the pd/pt prints. it is amazing to me what detail I notice immediately in one, then say, 'oh yea, there it is' in the other. they can also have slightly different emotional feels to them as well. Carl, do have a sense, now, looking at a negative, which direction you want to take it?

Carl Weese said...

Lyle, been busy all day fighting printer clogs (who says digital photography is quick and easy??). With the DI theaters at this point the digital prints have my attention because I think these subjects benefit from the enlargement available to me working from a scan. I probably feel the same about the White Churches project. But for the pure landscapes, the Steep Rock material or the Southern Mountains or Giles County, or Birch River to Strange Creek pictures, the visualization remains the contact print in Pt/Pd.

lyle said...

does that imply that future photographs of this material may be digital capture?

Carl Weese said...

Lyle, no not at all. Even the top digital backs can't approach the information capture of a 7x17" or 8x10" negative. Or the experience of working with the beautiful old wooden cameras. I just mean that future negatives in the project will go directly to careful scanning for possible digital printing at enlarged size.