Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hairpin Turn, II

On Rt. 16, near Tazewell, Virginia

Rt. 16 begins, according to the best maps I can find online, at (I'm not kidding) Mouth of Wilson, VA, which is in spitting distance of the North Carolina border. It wanders up the far southwest corner of Virginia to cross the West Virginia border, and winds its way over innumerable hills until it finally peters out around Beckley, WV. It's just about my favorite stretch of road in the world. Strangely, what's so wonderful must be all about the experience of driving it, much of the time locked in second gear. I've only gotten a few interesting pictures of road views on the four times I've driven the route, though I've gotten some wonderful things in the small towns along the road. Towns with names like Squire, War, and Welch. This one gives a pretty good sense of how the road builders dealt with the terrain.

No comments: