Saturday, March 21, 2015

Two Buildings

Covington, Virginia

The top one is Covington Auto Repair, also a state auto inspection station, but looks as though it once was a car dealership showroom. I don't think I've ever seen a building with exactly this same design, but it's got elements of other showroom buildings that you see all over. Especially places where there is still an active downtown and commercial buildings from the middle of last century haven't been torn down. I've never had much interest in making pictures of high-end architecture, but the vernacular sort has always fascinated me. I'm always on the lookout for buildings like this even when I'm traveling to make pictures for some other project.

The second one is a very simple wood frame and corrugated metal storage building. In both of these I was struck by how different the early February morning light in western Virginia is from southern New England, just five or six hundred miles to the northeast.

New Castle, Virginia

No comments: