Sunday, September 23, 2018

A view into the fish ladder

Bonneville Dam, Oregon

Friday,9/7/18, we drove our rental car around the Columbia River Gorge area, seeing mostly distant hills obscured by smoke from the wildfires all around. Then we saw a sign for the Bonneville Dam, and Woody Guthrie's depression era song rang out in our heads (I'm not sure I've ever heard the original, but there's a faithful and to-the-spirit rendition in "The Essential Ramblin' Jack Elliot" album). The key line to me is "Don't like dictators not much, myself,/But I think the whole country ought to be run/By electricity!" The large park service building on the site has four floors of museum exhibits on the dam, the river, and its history, including on the bottom level several picture windows offering a view into the fish ladder.

No comments: