Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Back at It, More Prints this Morning

This pretty much finishes up my "first look" Pt/Pd prints I wanted to make from pictures made last October on a short trip to Virginia and West Virginia. Prints are made with a palladium and traditional platinum mix, no contrast agent, on Hahnemühle Platinm Rag paper.


Coated sheet and digital negative on Fixxons film, set up in the vac frame (the stick supports the glass/frame top because the pneumatic lifts have long since worn out).


Vac frame pad is drawn up tight, ready to flip up against the light unit for exposure.


Four minute exposure under way.


"Palomino, Birch River, West Virginia," (there's a horse at the top of the hill on right) . 7x17 Korona Panoramic View with 305mm G-Claron.


"Goshen, Virginia." Evening view along the railroad tracks looking north up the valley, 8x10 Deardorff with 240mm Apo-Sironar S.


"Goodwill Baptist Church, Bland County, Virginia." Along Route 42, a little white church in brilliant midday sunlight, hilly pasture land in back. 8x10 Deardorff with 240mm Apo-Sironar S.

1 comment:

Mike Rosiak said...

It's good to see what a pro uses.

A little while back, Ursinus College in Collegeville, PA had a George Tice exhibit. Mr Tice himself spoke at the gallery opening, and took questions. But, for me, the most interesting part was in examining each (large) print, and noting the difference in tonal range between platinum and silver.

I've just recently wet my feet in alternative processes, printing in both cyanotype and Vandyke brown. I think you might cringe in horror at my equipment and methods. However, I did manage to have one print, Vandyke brown, accepted in Pennsylvania's annual Art of the State exhibition. First time in 20+ years of trying. The image was:
-taken with a Lumix GF1 converted to infrared, and sporting the Olympus body cap lens;
-converted to monochrome in Silver Efex Pro;
-inverted to a negative in Picture Window Pro;
-printed onto Pictorico OHP film;
-then printed on Hahnemuhle Platinum rag coated with Bostick & Sullivan Vandyke chemicals, and exposed in an old contact printing frame using a handheld quartz halogen worklight with the UV blocker removed. (I had UV-blocking safety glasses on);
-the last step repeated many times, until I got it right, also repeating the negative creation several times.

At some point, if I find myself getting really serious about this, I'll consider taking a workshop.