Thursday, September 28, 2006

Evergreen Motor Court, Bristol, Virginia

Motel Pool Redux

On the half dozen or so times I've stayed here on my way to and from the Blue Ridge, I've never seen anyone use the pool. The rooms are neat and tidy, big, and incredibly cheap. When I check in, the office is always suffused with the seductive aromas of Pakistani cooking. One time, as I was checking in, I mentioned the wonderful smell of cooking to the young (from my perspective) woman who came to the desk, and she upgraded my room to one with a king bed. Compliments work. But I'd rather have gotten some of the food.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure like the soft light in this picture and the previous one. Color works well in these photographs. The subject matter also interests me--my family used to stop at similar motels when I was a child (my brother, sisters, and I made a beeline for the pool!)--but the light makes the photographs, sets the mood and atmosphere.

Anonymous said...

Carl:

I certainly will like to see the print of these beautiful colour photograph which represents Americana in is essence and its finely kitsch taste.

Alejandro

Anonymous said...

Hello this is our hotel, we are not Pakistani though, were Hindu's/Indians, I am the son of that young woman you were referring to.

Carl Weese said...

Thanks for the correction. Since I'm a vegetarian, that makes it even more likely I would have loved the food I could smell from the lobby.