Sunday, July 04, 2010

Truck in the Weeds, with a Storm Coming In

On Military Turnpike, south of Altona, New York

The early morning had been cloudy, but traveling west from Keesville it was clear at 7:30 that a storm front was coming in. I stopped for this truck surrounded by weeds, and the sky darkened visibly during the couple minutes I spent here. Changed enough that I had to adjust exposure several times as I tried different angles.

On Military Turnpike, south of Altona, New York

At 7:38, traveling west, it was straight into a heavy rain squall. Here you can see my second little splurge after the arduous print offer (the first was to replace my obsolete laptop computer)—a GPS unit. My initial impression of the gadget is that it will prove useful in quite a few ways. The maps are more up to date, complete, and detailed, than a printed atlas or even MapQuest online. It can alter its recommended point-to-point route based on real-time traffic reports, which is pretty useful if you can't avoid passing near an urban center near rush hour.

2 comments:

Don and Sher said...

I love finds like that truck above.

MP said...

Ah, the age-old old truck in the weeds gambit. But wait, it isn't quite is it? No, it's actually interesting. And maybe the GPS will lead you through NEPA again soon.