Friday, April 27, 2012

Blue Sky Drive-in Theater

Warren, Ohio

Last September a storm had just passed through when I got to this theater in the evening to meet with the owner. As we talked, I saw that the sky was getting lighter near the west horizon. I set up the 8x10 camera for this framing of the screen and playground, when another storm front came through. I wrapped up the mounted camera in a waterproof giant focusing cloth and waited out the rain in my car. Just as the rain stopped again, the sun dropped out of the clouds and lit up the screen like some sort of giant beacon. The clouds to the northeast behind the screen were a deep blue verging on purple. When I tweak this scan further for printing I'll take the sky even deeper than it is here to really reflect the feel of this dramatic moment.

No comments: