Sunday, May 20, 2012

Southside Auto Parts

Muncie, Indiana

The Great American Drive-in Theater Road Trip set out at 4:37 Friday morning. As of this morning I've photographed at seven theaters and covered just under a thousand miles. The nature of the opening two days of the trip was so hectic I've gotten almost no side shooting, but yesterday I did get this on my way to an abandoned theater north of Muncie. Even though it's still May, the temperature yesterday got over a muggy 90° and the light on the great flat land out here already has the harsh-but-hazy high summer look.

4 comments:

lyle said...

a lot of miles in a short time. Carl, thinking about the cold, gray skies we have back east today, I was wondering how weather fits into your schedule? If you get to a site you want to photograph and it looks like it is going to be bad weather for a couple of days do you, 1) just deal with it and make whatever photographs you can (always can do that!), 2) decide to wait it out, or 3) just move to the next location?

John said...

If you're coming through Nebraska on I-80, Stop in to see me!
John Nollendorfs

Carl Weese said...

Lyle, could be any of the above. I've had blazing hazy sunlight here in the midwest Saturday and Sunday, but that seemed just right for the theaters set in this landscape. The theater I traveled to today happened to be perfect to shoot under a threatening, stormy sky. Other times I'm not so lucky and I have to move on and hope to return. The photograph of The Warner in Franklin, WV, was made on my third try at the location...

Taken For Granted said...

This is a well composed shot of population decline in the rural, Midwest. This trend started in the post WW II era and continues through the present. Small towns are also declining.

Wish you the best on your journey, and looking forward to seeing your photographs.