Saturday, March 05, 2022

Not So Recent, for a while

 

Kioto, Japan, 1969

The tag for this blog is "recent photographs" and generally I've stuck close to that. Thing is, for a variety of reasons that aren't interesting to anyone else, I've only done a few 'photo walks' since the first of the year, so have run out of recent pictures to post. I thought I'd turn things around (the blog tag also says "© 1969-2022") and for a few days I'll go all the way back.

Junior year of college I won an invitational scholarship to be a member of the International Honors Program, a group of thirty students from a dozen and a half universities and three professors drawn from three different schools (with some of their family members as well). We traveled around the world, staying for 3-8 weeks at each of our stops, mostly living with local families a bit like exchange students do, but without the exchange. The IHP entity reimbursed the volunteer families for, essentially, having a boarder.

There's an intensely tight edit down to 12 pictures from this trip on my website. You can find it over in the sidebar links if you like. I did the edit in 1990, twentieth anniversary, went with the edit when I made the site gallery many years later. There are other pictures that are good. As I was rummaging around in the proof sheets a couple years ago heading into a 50 year reunion where we were all trying to share snapshots from the trip, I wanted to find snapshots (that's not what I do, much) in my proofsheets that would interest the rest of the group because the pictures were of group activities. I had settled into doing my thesis project, which was a words and pictures study of religious ritual in the places I had access to on our itinerary. 

Apart from the thesis, I spent every minute I could find to just try to make pictures of the places we were and find myself as a photographer.

As far as I know, I was only one of two in the group (the other wanted to be a writer) who intended a career in the arts.

We spent a long time in Japan, because for one of the profs, the official leader, it was his speciality. Eight weeks, divided between Tokyo with families, something like a week at  a Japanese rural communal societiy, then another one, and then on to Kyoto where I stayed with an ambitious buisness man's welcoming house, in Kyoto.

This picture was made, early evening, about ten seconds after I walked out of the business storefront room which was ceded to me as a study place at the end of the day. So I could speed read the academic text material or type up my log—paper books, no devices then, execept a tiny portable typewriter I'd just bought in Tokyo when I realized I couldn't possibly keep notes in longhand, having typed since the age of 11. Smoke Camels and type up my notes, when, after business hours, the desk was mine.

More tomorrow.


No comments: