Saturday, October 28, 2006

Summersville, West Virginia

Free Pictures

Sometimes it takes an enormous amount of work to make a picture—travel, advance planning, multiple returns to a location to find exactly the right conditions. Sometimes though, they come out of nowhere. Here, I'd just pulled out of the Mountain State Motel before dawn to head twenty miles north to Beam's farm to try for pictures with my banquet cameras. It was my fifth or sixth return to that spot, more than five hundred miles from home. I pulled into the convenience store to get coffee and when I got back into my truck, this scene was staring at me. Just roll down the window and take a picture that I really like.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been admiring your pictures for some time, but was finally inspired to come out of my shell with this one. It's lovely.

Carl Weese said...

Thanks to all, but in particular to michael poster for saying "it's lovely." I've been working with 'ordinary' subject matter since I was a teenager, and that's forty years and counting. If a picture of a gas station/convenience store strikes a perceptive viewer as lovely, I may finally be getting it right.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, nice Carl. Surely the light is what's most eye catching. But the "blankness" of the wall and the asphalt become geometric objects, not literal objects. Nice alignment of the Citgo sign stripe w/ the stripe of light on the side of the convenience store. Intentional, right?

Eric Hancock said...

Love this.