Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Lived in.

New York, New York

Click on any picture here on the blog's front page and you'll be taken to a significantly larger and more legible version. Not surprisingly, in light of what we've seen in the last post, the larger presentation is also more faithful to the tone/color of the original uploaded file. 

I did a bit of a double-take on just how much larger—and better—the second-level presentation was and realized it's different than it used to be. I probably haven't clicked on a front page shot to see the larger version in quite a while. Why would I? So I pulled the second-level file down to my desktop and tossed into Photoshop. Hello! It IS the original uploaded file, filename is intact, full 1,000 pixel long dimension intact. Just to be clear, this is still an enormous downsize from the original capture. However, it is the actual file that comes out of a Photoshop batch action that I've written to take my adjusted RAW capture files out to a 1,000-pixel wide sRGB JPEG. About as close as I can make a web presentation to what a real print would look like.

5 comments:

Ed said...

I think that picture is a stunning image and it looks great on my iMac. I've been following with interest your recent problems with Blogger changing your images. I've often noticed changes in images I've posted, but thought it was due to differences in monitors I use to look at my blog. I've often wondered if I'm getting the best looking images on Blogger. I had already disabled Blogger's enhance feature. I have found Blogger to be a little quirky in a number of areas. I guess you get what you pay for.

Carl Weese said...

guess you get what you pay for.

Yup.

It's an open platform though, so, we can try to push it to do better. The full file on click-through seems to me an improvement. So there's that.

Scott Kirkpatrick said...

With 1900 x 1200 monitors even in laptops, would you consider batching your images to 1200 pixels wide now? I suspect that might shrink more gracefully to 800 and 600 pixels width, which are common blog formats.

scott

Markus said...

Very fine in all its complexity - finding 3 images of the model's face, where the reflection hides part of it in the main rendering, the dotted line taking up the one green traffic light, the radial lines in the window to the left and the diagonals of the tree branches in the background, the faint bus stop sign and the bus: A truly working picture, Carl.

Carl Weese said...

Thanks for the comments, folks.

Scott, yesterday I set up a bunch of files from the NYC weekend, but when I've gone through those I'll see what happens with a larger source file.