Saturday, May 23, 2009

Up On A Roof

New York, New York

Looking down from the roof of a six story building on 17th street. Bits and pieces of a scene. I'm generally a resolute user of short lenses to examine sweeping views after close approach to subjects, seldom seeing any reason to pick out details. I could cop a plea that from seven stories in the air I needed to use a longer lens (just a bit longer than "normal" in this case) to organize the view. But as has happened the last couple times I've shot in New York, a longer than usual lens seemed to work better.


New York, New York

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey bro ,great images, very fresh views of the NYC landscape. thanks

Carl Weese said...

Hey, thanks. I'm fascinated by just how different it is from the small towns and cities I've been photographing in. Also thanks for stopping by the workshop last week, definitely livened things up.

lyle said...

Looking down from rooftops has primarily been the province of b&w photographers such as Coburn (http://www.geh.org/fm/coburn/alcoburn/m196701440286_ful.html#topofimage). The addition of color here adds a very interesting dimension, ie, I no longer see a pattern of grays on a 2 dimensional surface, the color stands out somewhat adding the 3rd axis.....oh yea, hi angel....