Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Prints (and new glasses)

Woodbury, Connecticut

Back in my own darkroom this afternoon a couple days after the Penumbra Traditional (from film) workshop. Four Pt/Pd prints snapped with my iPhone as they sat in the second clearing bath, from my "Winter Woods" series shot over the last several months. I did these with an M-4/3s Panasonic GX7 and a variety of Panasonic and Olympus lenses. Digital negatives made with the procedure that I teach in my "digital platinum" workshops. 6.75x9 inch prints using a drop count of 10 ferric oxalate, 8 standard Pd, 2 standard Pt, plus 1 10% Tween20 on Hahnemühle Platinum Rag.




Also, this morning I picked up my new eyeglasses made to a very overdue new prescription. I had splurged and in addition to my bifocals, I ordered a pair of single vision "computer glasses" which hit best focus at something like two to three times reading distance. When I put the first humidified sheet of paper down at the coating station, I said to myself, wait, this is about two times reading distance! I changed to the computer glasses, and found that I could coat the sheet standing comfortably upright, instead of constantly bending over and craning my neck to see the faint pencil lines that mark the coating area. So, other people may have computer glasses, but...


Here I am with my new Darkroom Glasses.

2 comments:

David said...

A rare Carl sighting! It’s good to be able to see what you’re doing. I have two sets of glasses at the computer: “computer” glasses for working on pictures and “distance” glasses for looking at prints once they’re stuck up on the cork board.

Carl Weese said...

I'm having slight second thoughts and perhaps wish that I'd gotten computer/reading bifocals instead of computer singe vision. But it's much better than trying to work on the display with distance/reading bifocals.